SCHOOL ZONE SAFETY REMINDER - KEEP OUR CHILDREN SAFE
Road safety around schools is a major concern.
Motorists are reminded 40km/h speed limits are operating in school zones and to drive at no more than 40km/h through school zone times on any gazetted school day.
School zones operate from 8am and 9.30am and 2.30pm to 4pm on all NSW government school days. There are a small number of schools that operate non- standard school zone times in NSW, which are identified by red/orange school zones signs showing the times.
SAFETY AROUND SCHOOLS
School drop off and pick up times can be chaotic times for kids, and a time when parents and other drivers may be rushing, distracted or stressed.
Children are particularly vulnerable because they are smaller, harder to see, likely to act unpredictably and more likely to act without thinking or can be distracted. They need you to take extra care when driving and parking around school zones.
To minimise risks at school drop off and pick up time:
• Plan for plenty of time to park, walk or drive
• Walk from home or park in a less busy street and walk to the school
• Time your arrival to beat the rush
• Always park and turn legally and avoid dangerous manoeuvres like U-turns and three-point turns.
• Drop the kids off and pick them up on the school side of the road. Calling out to then from across the road is dangerous as they may run to you without checking traffic.
• Concentrate on driving, ignore your mobile phone
Increased fines and demerit points apply for certain school zone offences.
For more information on keeping kids safe in school zones please visit
NSW Centre for Road Safety http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/
Keep our children safe, slow down and obey the parking rules.
A message from Shoalhaven City Council Road Safety program.
Please see also this flyer about parking and driving near schools: Park & Drive flyer 2018 (pdf 962 KB)